Sunday, August 12, 2007

Beautiful Sights and Sleepless Nights

Here I am sitting at the Best Western Guest Laundry room waiting to put my load of clothes in the dryer :) It's about 11 pm and Tim and Myra are sound asleep. I am grateful for wireless internet so that I don't have to sit here bored! Tim and I are also very very VERY grateful that we have a bed to stretch out on and sleep tonight. I would have written a post yesterday telling you about our day but since Walmart parking lots don't have wireless internet I could not. Yes, you read correctly. Apparently all of Oregon's hotels were completely booked -- UNBELIEVABLE -- so our little family joined the handful of RV's already parked at Walmart and spent the night in our car. Not the best sleep but sure is a great story :)

Here's a quick re-cap of the last two days....

I was pleasantly surprised to find that the continental breakfast at the motel we stayed at in Aberdeen included a "make your own waffle" station! :) I was so excited.



After breakfast we headed south on the coastal highway. Check out these flattened slanty trees :) They grow this way due to the high winds that come off the ocean - weird - when we took this picture it was not windy at all.



Later in the morning I was woken by Tim to see a massively long bridge. It was so long you could barely see where it ended from the beginning. Turns out we crossed the border into Oregon halfway along the bridge.





Taking a short walk on Canon Beach.



We had lunch at a hot dog stand in a small city just past Canon Beach - Tim had sauerkraut on his hot dog - I was too chicken to try.

Now I forget what town it was in - but this sight caught our attention and we decided to check it out.



It's an old airplane hanger that had been used to hold blimps airplanes during the second world war. It was massive! We toured the inside which was filled with old and new fighter planes and other planes. Very cool.






This morning we ate breakfast at Rotten Ronnies since it was conveniently also located at the Walmart location :)



First thing we accomplished once we had travelled back from Eugene to Florence was to make reservations for our night tonight. I think our rejoicing at having a place to stay dominated conversation for at least 30 minutes. :) The scenery along this route is so beautiful! Sometimes we drive right beside the ocean and other times we're surrounded by trees - it's all gorgeous.





Baby Myra is a great traveler. She sleeps most of the time while we're driving. Today, we stopped for lunch in Bandon and Myra had just woken up from sleeping the past 2 hours. She was so happy! She squealed and "sang" for at least 45 minutes straight - I was starting to worry she would get a sore throat. :)

We are now in California at Crescent City. Our destination goal for tomorrow is San Fransisco. I'm looking forward to driving through the redwood forest :)

Anyways, I should join my sleeping family :)
Sweet dreams!




.... oh yeah ...saw a sign on the side of the road that made me giggle...it said "Why is the word abbreviation so long?" :)

11 comments:

Sarah said...

Wow - the Wal-mart parking lot!! That is a good story. It sounds like you guys are really taking time to enjoy the trip and scenery as you travel. You've taken some amazing pictures along the way too. Can't wait to read your next post!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for letting us come along on your journey via internet.
You are in my prayers daily!
Aunt Ruth

The W's said...

I hope you don't mind me following your journey.
As I read your entry this morning I had to laugh as I had just put a load of laundry in our guest laundry at our hotel! (We are in Nova Scotia for more training before we head back to Rupert). Good thing you have a bed to sleep in! Yay for beds.

Brenda

Rosanna Toews said...

I miss you three! I enjoyed looking at these pictures and chatting with you on the phone last night. I love you. Hope today includes many moments of laughter and joy. Enjoy it all!

aorr said...

Charlotte,
When are you coming through SF? My hubby and I live about 40 minutes south of the city (on the Peninsula) and I would love to see you, or at least provide you with a good meal. . . My phone number is 650-815-1449, please feel free to call me if you are driving through! I am working some the next couple days, but would love to catch you on your trip through.
Thanks,
Andrea Orr (used to be Pasiuk!)

WLJZA said...

Such fun adventures you're having. I can imagine being very excited to know that you have places to sleep for the next few nights. We miss you guys so much, and every time I look outside and see your car, I think of you :) Love you lots.
Lisa, Waylon and little no name (aka Veranda)

Unknown said...

Cool pics, great stories to tell. We miss you lots already, maybe you need to post sound of Myra "talking" for me. Jon

Yvonne said...

Sleeping in the wal-mart parking lot. Wow - adventure already:) Glad Myra is traveling so well - hope San Fran is great. I love you and look forward to more stories.

Anonymous said...

Dear Froeses ~

Did you get to eat at the Bandon pizza place that Ian had so highly recommended?? It's so very nice to read about your adventures and that you're taking the time to enjoy your trip and not just drive-drive-drive.
We look forward to reading more updates.

The Brownses :)

Keith - Kristen said...

how fun to cook your own waffles! And those wind blown trees...how cool is that? And that sign you saw does make you think :) That's funny. What beautiful sites you get to see. So beautiful. Reminds me of the fun times we had on the beaches in Brazil together. Miss you.

Anonymous said...

Oh Char! I love these posts. I am here with my sister in Ontario, so I haven't been checking blogs, but this morning I did, and you had like four new posts. So great! I can't wait to sit down at home (with wireless instead of dial-up - ha ha) and read all these posts in detail. Love you. Glad you are having an adventure. You are so beautiful.