Thursday, August 16, 2007

Vastness

What struck me the most today while driving through Nevada was the vastness of the land around us. We were simultaneously surrounded by big mountains and could see for miles across the plain in front and beside us. The scenery wasn't stunning but was beautiful in its own way. It brought to mind the lyrics of the Downhere song "Great Are You"...

How I love your works, My God, My King
How I love your works, My God, My King
Your name rings on the plain
Like a not so distant train....

Because I'll never hold a picture of the whole horizon in my view
Because I'll never split the night in two
Who am I? Who am I? Who am I and Great are You!

- Downhere -









Through the Bonneville Salt Flats...







Sorry - those are all the pictures for today. We need new batteries for the camera and are hoping to find some first thing tomorrow morning.

We're in Salt Lake City, Utah for the night tonight and will cross the Rocky Mountains tomorrow. Our destination is Sidney, Nebraska. One thing I'm very grateful for today is air conditioning :) - outside temperatures for the last two days have been from 30 -38 degrees celcius.

Hope you are enjoying peace-filled sleeps :-)

3 comments:

Rosanna Toews said...

I would love to join you for your travels tomorrow - it looks like it would be fun to be sitting in the back seat and just driving along. Thanks for calling Char. I love you three!

WLJZA said...

I love reading your updates and seeing where you've been. Still miss you lots. Love you.

Unknown said...

Cool Pics once again. It was great to be able to talk to you guys last night. Maybe the video chat will work better next time. Love jon and ang