Friday, August 17, 2007

Continental divides and stormy skies

Leaving Utah....





A continental divide is a line of elevated terrain (e.g. a plateau) which forms a border between two watersheds such that water falling on one side of the line eventually travels to one ocean or body of water, and water on the other side travels to another, generally on the opposite side of the continent. Wyoming is part of the Great Divide or continental divide which separates the watersheds of the Pacific Ocean from those of the Atlantic or Arctic Oceans.

(I should say that taking pictures of city signs while traveling at 120 km/hr (the posted speed limit) is very stressful for me and the cause of much laughter in our car - sorry about how blurry they are - you might have noticed that I missed the "Utah" sign.)

"Wyoming Welcomes You" :)





For the majority of the day we drove between rain storms. Whichever side we looked towards we could see sheets of rain falling in the distance. A few times we were even lucky enough to catch glimpses of lightening. Mmmm, the smell of rain! I love it!









"Nebraska ...the good life"



Watching the thunder/lightening storm from our hotel room.





It's been a relaxing evening so far. :)
Something we are grateful for today is technology ...especially internet and web cams! - helps with the homesickness.

ttfn :)

6 comments:

Leanne said...

I love to follow your adventures through this blog - You're doing a great job of documenting your journey and the memories. I'm praying right now that the homesickness won't be debilitating, but the sweet memories will bolster you through your adventure. That you will be able to grieve well what you have left so that you can embrace what is to come. I pray for safety, laughter and patience.
Blessings.

Yvonne said...

cx ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzc 56ytrg v
Kyra was wanting to send a message so maybe Myra can translate:)
I can imagine the homesickness would get worse the farther away you drive. Technology is wonderful - good to have a way to keep in contact with your family and friends even more.
Praying for you as you drive and peace as you start this new chapter of your lives. I love you Charlotte.
P.S. Those lightning pictures are amazing. I love lightning storms.

WLJZA said...

I'm grateful for technology too, its been nice being able to chat with you both. Love you!

Rosanna Toews said...

Missing you today.

Jamie said...

Hi Charlotte - I just caught up on on your travelling posts. You're doing such a great job keeping this blog updated and I thoroughly enjoyed every story and picture! Sounds like you guys are having some fun little adventures and I'm SO glad to hear that Myra's such a great traveller!

Anonymous said...

Good words.