Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Changing Landscapes

Before leaving San Francisco this morning, my friend Andrea graced us with her presence for breakfast on Pier 39. We had crepes...mmmmm....I love crepes! Andrea also brought us a bag full of healthy snack treats complete with fresh baked bran muffins, peanut butter-oatmeal-chocolate chip-m & m cookies, fruit, nuts and drinks. Just as I was lamenting to myself about how I wished I hadn't eaten the oat fudge bars Ang made for me so fast :) Thanks again Ang and Andrea for keeping us stocked with yummy snacks! ...and thanks Andrea for driving 40 minutes each way just to see us - we really enjoyed visiting with you :)



We couldn't drive through California and not stop at In-N-Out for a burger!



One thing I have been enjoying so far is observing the changing landscapes of the cities and states we drive through. In Oregon, we mostly saw sandy beaches/coast with lush vegetation. In California, we passed through the Redwood Forest and then drove for hours beside rocky coast. Today we drove through Yosemite Park and into Nevada. Massive stone-like mountains gave way to wide open spaces and desert like climate.













It was strange driving down this road because there was no sign of civilization anywhere - no power lines, no signs for upcoming towns, no cities in the distance - all we could see was an unending road and open spaces. At one point we stopped so I could feed Myra and Tim walked around a bit. He said it was amazing how silent that spot was. I think in over 90 minutes of driving we only saw about 5 cars. Felt like we were in the middle of nowhere.

We arrived at our destination, Hawthorne, Nevada at around 7 pm tonight. First thing on the list was to find food and wow! was it ever good! I got to have "Milaneza" which is breaded steak - yeah for good memories of growing up :)





Myra has had a number of "firsts" already on this trip. Tonight she went "hot tubbing" for the first time. The hot tub at the hotel here was the temperature of bath water so I put Myra in her Kushies swim diaper and new swimsuit and Tim took her into the hot tub with him. I think she liked it :)





Next stop: Salt Lake City :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good morning, Char, Tim & Myra!

Yup, your blog is now officially the first one I look for when I click on my internet button :) I love your little road-trip diary and for once I don't feel like an intruder reading somebody's blog (meaning that I actually feel like I know you well enough to be reading your personal information :))
And everytime I read your update, I have a smile on my face because it sounds like you're having such a wonderful time as a family!
Love, Anita B.

Keith - Kristen said...

I love that bathing suit!!! I almost got it for Teagan. Myra is so precious.

Sarah said...

I forgot that you are friends with Andrea - so cool that you got to catch up in person! It sounds like she supplied you with some amazing treats too! I'm enjoying reading and seeing pics of your adventure to Indiana - thanks for posting!

The W's said...

What an adventure you are on! Myra is such a cutie - love the bathing suit :)

Yvonne said...

I get so excited everytime I read your blog - it's giving me the travel itch again. It's making me happy that we're taking a short road trip to Alberta - scenery that I've seen lots but still love to look at. Myra's bathing suit is sooo cute. I love you and hope your morning is going good.

Rosanna Toews said...

Have I told you lately that I love you - Myra you look so so so so cute in your bathing suit. Love it!

alexa said...

Charlotte,
Your trip sounds wonderful so far. It brings back memories of driving to California as a child, and it brings a longing to do it again with my family. I hope you continue to have a wonderful safe journey.
Alexa